frozen meals ftw?

Last week I posted this to instagram


and have had a lot of people asking what recipes I used, so I decided to post about the experience that is freezer meals and then lead everyone here.

Woah, it was a lot of work. It took MUCH longer than I had expected. I had actually done this before for some family when I went up to Wyoming this past February. I guess I just didn't realize how long it took and there were also more of us working - so it was faster and infinitely more fun. This time though, I was chopping and cooking for a little more than five hours. Five hours. (& that's not counting the hours I spent getting the list ready and grocery shopping!) It was like Thanksgiving, but without the family, and pies, and games, so actually nothing like Thanksgiving. By the end of it I was exhausted, my back hurt and I thought if I looked at one more measuring spoon I would scream. I definitely felt like I would never do that again.

That said, we have since had two of the meals (and one had enough for leftovers) and it's so great to just throw the bag in the crock pot and not have to think about cooking. The meals are actually really good too!

I ended up with 16 crock pot meals, two pastas & a ton of burritos. The serving size was a lot and since there are just two of us I made two meals for every recipe. A lot of the crock pot meals need to be served over rice or potatoes (but having a rice cooker makes that a no brainer).

Hot and Spicy Braised Peanut Chicken
BBQ Chicken 
Orange Chicken
Man-Pleasing Chicken
Pineapple Pork 
Teriyaki Honey Chicken
Lemon Chicken
Beef Broccoli 
Baked Penne with Chicken and Sun-Dried Tomatoes (I added asparagus to this)
Bean Burritos (these are easy to make and so fast for eating on the go!)
Breakfast Burritos 

 I am still undecided on if it's worth it, I think if I did it again I would not do as many at once to break it up or get a friend and make a day of it - cooking is always better with friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment