favorite things: 03.12.15

Another of my favorite things...the audible app! I am obsessed with audible, really ask any of my friends ooooobbbbbsesed! I always wanted to be the type of person who reads, but after school I was just so burned out on reading. (When I was in school I was ready 3-4 hours a day 7 days a week! Any other art history majors out there? ha) Then when I started my business, my free time was so scarce. A few years ago I discovered audible and have been 'reading' consistently ever since. 


Listening to audio books is great because I can do it while I am working on parts of the job that are a little monotonous or repetitive, like cutting paper or printing. I probably listen to an audio book every two weeks, so there's a good balance of books, music and podcasts. Another thing I have come to love is the sleep timer feature on the app. I have always had a hard time falling asleep, but when I listen to a book before bed it helps me unwind and stop my brain from going a million miles a minute! 

Audible is a monthly subscription service, where you pay $15 or $23 each month and get credits for either 1-2 books a month depending on the plan. And if you don't end up buying a book that month your credits roll over, so you can buy more next month. They also have a great refund policy. About a year ago, I downloaded a book that had great review and sounded interesting, but turned out to be a little vulgar and I knew I wouldn't end up listening to it. (No, it wasn't 50 Shades of Grey!) I was able to return it and get my credit back for another book easily. It's just such a great app, I could go on and on haha. 

Below are some of the books I have read and highly recommend:

business related/educational
The Goal by Eliyahu M. Goldratt
Who Moved My Cheese? by Spencer Johnson
The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
Scaling Up Excellence by Huggy Rao & Robert Sutton
Antifragile by Nassim Taleb
 
leisure reading 
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (Narrated by Wil Wheaton)
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt 
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green 
The White Cat Series by Holly Black (Narrated by Jesse Eisenberg)

3 comments:

  1. The name of the wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Have you read it? It is amazing. Some of the best Storytelling and world building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try your hand at designing book covers! It brings together all your interests:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really recommend Rebecca's World by Terry Nation(creator of the Daleks in Doctor Who) no Daleks here though, just a nice Fantasy story for kids and maybe adults, if they like gentle sci-fi fantasy.

    ReplyDelete